Water Watch NYC

Everything you need to know about water in NYC.

Good News: Low-income families will receive assistance paying water bills

1 Comment

Governor Kathy Hochul announced that $69.8 million in federal funds will be made available to support low-income New Yorkers in paying past-due bills for drinking water and wastewater. The Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP), provides eligible applicants with “up to $2,500 for drinking water arrears and $2,500 for wastewater arrears to help them avoid service interruptions when the moratorium on shutoffs expires next month.”

This initiative will assist approximately 105,000 homes within New York.

According to Governor Hochul, the program was created to help struggling New Yorkers recover from the pandemic. Anyone who is interested can simply apply online.

Ashokan Water Services Contributed to this report

Author: Hershel

Hershel is a Water Management Engineer with Ashokan Water Services, where he's actively involved with conservation and building design issues. Prior to his Ashokan, he was a Mechanical Engineer with the City of New York. He is a former President of the New York chapter of the American Society of Plumbing Engineers (ASPE) and is a member of BOMA, IREM and NYARM. Hershel is an avid kayaker.

One thought on “Good News: Low-income families will receive assistance paying water bills

  1. Hershel ,

    Thank you for creating this valuable resource.

    I am stuck in DEP purgatory. DEP came to repair the external electronic water meter box. When they came the repairman said we have an “illegal union”. We then received the letter saying we were committing “Theft of Services”. It was quite a shock to be “tried and convicted” of convicted of theft without having stepped in front of any judge.

    Be that as it may, we had the union “repaired”. DEP inspected. Yet many months later we continue to receive grossly inflated attributed consumption charges.

    Do you have a recommendation for where I should file my complaint in order to get my account returned t metered billing? The formal complaint process implies that even if I win a formal complaint proceeding, I would have needed to pay the full inflated bill prior to making the complaint in order to receive a corrected bill.

    Any advice ?

    Thank you in advance

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s